Plank Exercise Video And Instructions
The plank exercise is very simple to do using only the weight of your body. The beauty of it is that you can do it anywhere whether you're at home or travelling. It's a great exercise to shape your abs as well as the back, buttocks and legs.
How to perform the exercise
Here's a video demonstration of the plank.
Here are the exercise instructions.
- Lie face down on the floor or on an exercise mat.
- Lift your body and support it on your forearms and toes.
- Keep your body straight and hold this position.
- Hold it for 10 seconds if you're starting out. Gradually increase the time you can hold as you get stronger.
Things to watch out for
- Keep your abs tight and maintain a straight back at all times.
- Don't let your hips rise or sag.
- Don't let your belly sag.
- Stop when you can't hold your body straight.
- Don't forget to breathe all the time.
Once you can hold this for 1 minute, you might want to make this exercise harder.
Ways To Make The Exercise Harder
- You can lift one leg completely off the floor.
- You can lift one arm and the opposite leg (say right arm and left leg) and hold them up for a couple of seconds. Then switch sides. Do this while you're holding the usual plank position.
- Put a heavy bag on your back.
If you want to tone the sides of your ab (obliques), check out another related movement in
exercises for love handles.
Here's to a great looking tummy. :-)
Return from Plank Exercise to Stomach Flattening Exercises.
Return to Home Weight Training For Women Main Page.